Positive Body Image: My story


I wasn't going to share this but I think I need to be brave and speak up about this because, it is a serious issue effecting many young ladies across the world.

This is such a touchy topic but Body image effects us all in one way or another. This is such a big part of my testimony. But I was too ashamed to share it with anyone in the past so I tried to ...cover it up.

When I was younger and I had a coach who had a major impact on my body image and what I thought about myself. He told me that I needed to lose weight. This guy had no idea what he was talking about. It really hurt me when he even got me on the scales and told me to lose 6 kilos and get my weight into to the 50s. I was about 16 then and with my build that would have made me very unhealthy. He kept comparing me some other girls who skied faster than me, Telling me that If I lose that weight that I would perform better, which was so wrong.

I remember winning a medal at a big race, having the best day ever and him telling me. That's good but now we need to get you down to 55kgs, and that I'd better start cutting my carbs down. I also had him tell me things such as if you lose this weight you will be happier and more confident and feel better about yourself. It was quite the opposite though.

I went to extreme measures and got really obsessive. I would compare pictures of other girls with completely different builds than me and obsessing over that. I would also look in the mirror for hours picking out every flaw which really consumed me. I would take diet pills and supplements which accounted to many sleepless nights and random caffeine highs. I also cut down dramatically on what I ate and I remember always been run down and sick. When people would catch me out on not eating enough and make me eat more I would go and make myself throw up afterwards or go on ridiculous runs. I'm talking like 20kms plus some days!! So to be honest even though I lost weight then, I didn't feel any better, in fact I felt worse. Cause I was feeding my unhealthy obsession.

So many females in sport have been through this and its so sad. It is consuming us, coaches should focus sorely on fitness and athletic performance. Everyone is build differently and someone else's ideal weight might be underweight for you. Training, fitness and nutrition are far more important. If you are healthy, eating right and energized. You have the energy to put in the effort that you need to for your sport. Worrying about your weight and trying to make your body do things its not capable about it unhealthy and leads to obsession's.

We need to focus on what your bodies can do and what they have has done for us. Girls we are beautiful and God made us the way we are for a reason. He makes us perfect and we are all beautiful in his eyes. He doesn't see these flaws that we all seem to look at in the mirror. Its important to focus on health and respecting yourself. Corinthian's 6:19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were. God made us and he wants us to respect our bodies and be thankful for his work.

It just makes me laugh because many years ago skinny wasn’t beautiful! Marilyn Monroe!!! I just googled and saw all these old magazine covers about women who WANT to put weight ON!!! Our society is sad, and focuses on all the things the Bible warns us to stay away from. However, the theme running throughout society, in all the years, is the fact women can’t be happy with the body they were given. This isn't a rant in any way and I mean no offence to anyone at all. I believe we can make a change. Lets stop drawing ourselves to comparison and letting other peoples opinions weigh us down.

Society is sad, and focuses on all the things the Bible warns us to stay away from. However, the theme running throughout society, in all the years, is the fact women can’t be happy with the body they were given. Think of this many years ago skinny was considered ugly and women were desperately trying to put weight on. Now skinny's going out and women are filling up their bodies with dangerous supplements, overworking themselves and paying loads for plastic surgery. all for that teeny tiny waist and perky butt look. Thanks to all those photo shopped pictures on those fitspriation sites. No there's nothing wrong with been fit. But everyone's ideal body is different. Its sad for people to go to such extreme measures. To achieve what is practically impossible for their body type.


What if… every time you stand in front of a mirror, instead of launching into a bout of self-criticism, you reflected on the amazing things that your body does for you, and the amazing places that your body brings you. It is a different attitude.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First YWAM update

The Power Of Your Words

Learning lots and letting go...